Shop TheNappyLife

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

How to keep your natural hair moisturized while wearing a protective style




Kinky twists are a great way to protect your natural hair from the elements. Protective styles are great for length retention because of the fact that you do not have to manipulate your hair a whole lot.  Experience has taught me that it is important not to neglect your hair while wearing a protective style otherwise you defeat the whole purpose of a protective style.

During my relaxed days I wore a lot of protective styles, particularly sew-ins. I would keep the sew-in in for up to three months, and during that three months I would not do a single thing to my hair. When I removed my sew-in my hair would be dry, brittle, and breaking off due to the lack of care during the three months.

While wearing braids I like to keep my regimen simple. I don’t like using a lot of products because that may lead to build up. Buildup may cause lint to be trapped at the base of the braids which can lead to breakage when removing the braids. To moisturize I use my own personal blend of products.  I use a spray moisturizer, then I follow up with an oil to seal it all in. I also massage the oil into my scalp to help prevent itching and to promote growth. I typically do this twice a week or as needed. When I finally removed the braids I had no buildup or lint so it was a very easy process.

The only time I use a heavy product is the day I wash the braids and the day after to moisturize. My hair is usually the driest after wash day whether or not I use shampoo.  I only washed my braids twice the entire time I had them in. Some people wash their protective styles weekly or bi-weekly my goal was every three weeks.

Thanks for visiting

TheNappyLife