Shop TheNappyLife

Friday, July 31, 2015

SEVEN STEPS TO GET YOU STARTED ON A WORKOUT REGIMEN

HOW TO GO FROM COUCH POTATO TO BEAST MODE


So, I have finally decided to get healthy and stay healthy. I have started and failed many health journeys in my life starting in High School. I have always yo yo dieted and I've pretty much tried every single fad except surgery. Recently, I have been embattled with health issues that are totally within my control. I'm still in my twenties and it is way too early for me to start experiencing these issues. I am on this journey to get healthy, looking great is a plus but my goal is to be in the best shape of my life. It can be daunting just to decide to eat healthy and exercise so I have put together some tips to help get you started. These tips are based on what I have done wrong in the past. If you are interested in following my journey you can join me on Instagram @thenappylife.

STEP 1 : SET GOALS

On any journey whether professional or personal it is important to have something to strive for. If you have a reason to do the tough things you do it makes it much easier to stay on track. It is exciting and rewarding to get to a finish line you've set for yourself. It is also important to set goals that are attainable. So, If your goal is to run a half marathon, set small goals to get you to the end results. C25K makes a great app for that, they give you a weekly task and the tasks increase as you train. So, if your goal is to lose 60lbs I would recommend setting a 30lb goal at first. Celebrate and reward yourself when you get to that goal and then set another 30lb goal. When you have such a high mark to reach like 60lbs it can feel like you're never going to get there. But breaking it up into steps can make it seem more attainable.

STEP 2: KEEP A JOURNAL

A journal helps to keep your goals and your purpose fresh in your mind. It doesn't have to be a traditional pen and paper journal. It can be a blog like this one, an instagram or facebook page. I find that posting pictures of my workouts and sometimes my food helps to keep me on track because I feel like other people are watching. Yes, you are supposed to get healthy for you but sometimes knowing that others want to see you win is a great motivator. You may also be helping to motivate someone else. Even though they may not express it they could be reading your blog, or watching your page for daily motivation. A journal also lets you see your mistakes and your success so you know what to change or keep in the future. 

STEP 3: START SLOW

I have dived head first into many workout routines and have always come up short in the end. I lose the weight quickly but then I burn out. I take a break from the routine and I get comfortable on couch, I get back to it once or twice but then I fall off. I would recommend slowly incorporating a new routine into your lifestyle. If you're just getting off the couch revisit step 1 and set a small goal to work out twice a week for two weeks, then increase to three times a week for three weeks, then four times a week for four weeks and then five days a week for five weeks. Go at your own pace and do not compete with anyone.

STEP 4: DO NOT "DIET"

I can't tell you how many bootleg diets I've tried. Let me name a few; whole30 (lasted for two weeks), HCG, Low Carb, STARVATION (I was young and dumb and in High School), Diet Pills (Also in High School). Diets are not long term but having a healthy diet is. Again, you'll want to start slow. If you slowly make healthy changes to your diet you are more likely to stick with them. If you like pizza you can eat pizza but in moderation and maybe only have a slice or two instead of five (I love pizza). If you cook for yourself and your family try to find healthy recipes for the things you enjoy. When I first started I subscribed to Eating Well, they were having a pretty good promotion. Subscribing to Eating Well opened my eyes to all the good, healthy and tasty foods that are out there. 
  
STEP 5: WORKOUT WHERE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE

I hate the gym, I've never seen anyone in the gym sweat and they are always in the mirror taking selfies. I feel like I can't beast when I'm in the gym because people are judging (even at planet fitness). But that is just my personal opinion. I prefer to work out at home, and I go hard and do the most ridiculous things at times. There are tons of free workout programs that can be done at home, my absolute favorite is fitness blender on youtube they literally have hundreds of workouts you can choose from. You can go for walks, or you can jog if you're about that life. Its free to be outside or you can invest in some equipment like a treadmill or an elliptical. It is way cheaper to own equipment than to pay for a gymn membership.

STEP 6: EQUIP YOURSELF TO BE SUCCESSFUL
  
Don't be afraid to spend money on things that will make your journey a success. I purchased a treadmill, dumbells, kettle bell, waist trainer, a yoga mat, a jump rope so I can always switch up my workouts. You'll also need the proper shoes and clothing. If you want to know how many calories you're burning the polar ft4 or ft7 is a great investment. Amazon has the best deals, here is a link to some of my favorites. Best deals on workout equipment and gear. 

STEP 7: DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS

There a millions of motivation Mondays, transformation Tuesdays, watch me work Wednesdays, thirst trapping at the gym Thursdays, and follow my lead Fridays post but at the end of the day you never know how someone really gets their end results. They could have had weight loss surgery, taken supplements or starved themselves. Do not get discouraged because someone posts about how they lost 80lbs in five months and you've only lost 20. Go at your own pace and do what is best for you.

If you have any tips to add please leave them in the comments.