Shop TheNappyLife

Thursday, November 6, 2014

How I recovered from Traction Alopecia

What is Traction Alopecia? This is a small or localized hair loss area caused by repetitive or persistent pulling or force on hair roots. Tight braids and ponytails can pull hard enough on hairs to make them fall out. (Medicinenet.com)

I diagnosed myself with Traction Alopecia in  04/2014 after noticing extreme thinning, and bald spots in my temples.




What caused my Traction Alopecia? I don't wear braids often and when I do, I install them myself so there is no tightness or tension on my scalp. So, my Traction Alopecia was not caused by tight braids or hairstyles that were too tight. I did however notice that every time I used my Denman brush, modified or unmodified, I would have extreme soreness in the temple areas. No matter how gentle or careful I was, my temples were always sore after detangling with the Denman Brush. I do not know the scientific reason why but the Denman was pulling out my hair.



How did I recover? I stopped using the Denman Brush and started using the wide tooth comb and my fingers to detangle. I gave my hair a break from all the manipulation and put it in a protective style. I also did this so I could have easy access to my scalp. I gave myself scalp massages three days a week with my Healthy Hair Serum. The scalp massages helped to increase blood flow to the scalp and the oil helped to promote growth. In addition to that, I made sure to keep my scalp clean. Even though my hair was in a protective style I cleansed with apple cider vinegar every three weeks. I also didn't leave braids in my hair too long I made sure I removed them after six weeks. As a result I have fully recovered, and my hair is back to being full and health. Since I stopped using the Denman Brush, I haven't experienced any tenderness while detangling or otherwise.





Have you used a detangling tool like the Denman Brush? What has been your experience?