Shop TheNappyLife

Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Top Five Natural Hair Failures





Instagram


My Top Five Natural Hair Failures

My natural hair journey has been exciting and trying at times. There have been a lot of pleasant discoveries along the way. But through the journey came a lot of disasters. Here are a few.

5. Dry Brittle Hair
What I did:
When I first went natural in 2010 I read somewhere that natural hair loves water, and it was the best moisturizing agent. I took that to mean I had to wash my hair every day or every other day. Being that I had a twa I thought no big deal I can wash my hair every day my white friends did it all the time. So there I was washing my hair once a day sometimes every other day but not just washing, I was SHAMPOOING (with sulfate). So what were the results?  My hair was extremely dry, brittle and hard.
What I learned.
Water is the best moisturizer for natural hair; I don’t have to wash my hair every day to reap the benefits of this awesome moisturizer. Now I spritz my hair with a water based moisturizer or wet my hair with water then follow up with a cream and oil.

4. Heat Damage
                                          What I did:

At one point in my journey I deemed my hair too thick and unmanageable and decided to heat train my hair. This was an epic mistake. I didn’t use a flat iron, I just decided to blow dry my hair excessively. What I ended up with was more brittle, dry hair.
What I learned:
Heat trained hair is heat damaged hair. I decided to give up heat altogether and focus on conditioning and moisturizing my hair. Regular deep conditioning treatments have really helped to soften my hair along with using ph balanced products.


3. Excessive greasing
What I did:
I read everywhere that natural oils are great for moisturizing and aiding in growth. While this is very true I went over board greasing my hair. I would completely saturate my hair with oils to the point that it was running down my face and neck. I went to the grocery store and felt something on my neck I reached up rubbed my neck and my hand was completely coated.
What I learned:
While oils are great moisturizers for natural hair it’s not necessary to drench your hair. I section my hair in four and apply a dimed size amount to each section. My hair is pretty thick and about medium length so that amount generally works for me.

2. Product Junky Fail
What I did:
When I first went natural I had a lot of trouble keeping my hair moisturized and finding products to moisturize my hair. If I were to type my hair I would say that I have 4c hair. I tried all types of products, some would work for a while then after about a week my hair would be dry again. Many products worked while my hair was wet but once it dried it was dry again.
What I learned:
I learned that natural products that contain butters like shea and mango and natural oils worked great in my hair. The problem is these products are hard to find so I ended up making my own products. They include; a cleanser, conditioner, moisturizer, oil, and daily moisturizing spray.

1. Salon Nightmare
What I did:
This is probably my biggest and worst natural hair fail. About four months before my two year natural hair anniversary I decided to go to the salon to get a dope style and a trim. I had been trimming my hair myself since I went natural and decided a professional would do a better job at making it even. This was in March 2012, and I was a little bit below collar bone length. I googled natural hair salons in my area and decided to go to Loose Ends in Orlando because it looked like the most professional and they advertised themselves as a natural hair salon. Fast forward through the visit and my hair was four inches shorter and uneven everywhere. I had pieces that were as short as an inch ( that’s right I said an inch) from collar bone length to an inch.
What I learned:
I learned not to pick a natural hair salon on a whim. I haven’t been back to the salon since but if I were to go back I would ask other naturals what salons they recommend. Ask the stylist questions before I entrust them with my hair. Ask to see pictures of the types of hair that they’ve worked on and ask about their technique. Since then I’ve been growing out my hair and trimming and cutting occasionally to make things as even as possible.

What are your natural hair failures?