Shop TheNappyLife

Monday, October 8, 2012

Prevent Breakage in Six Easy Steps

 Your hair may seem like its not growing as fast as you want, but the number one killer of hair length is BREAKAGE. It's the evil nemesis of all naturals. So, here are a six steps to prevent breakage. These are the steps that have worked for me. 
STEP 1: Hair is made up of protein, so try to do a protein treatment every once in a while. I try to do one whenever my hair needs it. If your hair is overloaded with moisture it may be time to do a protein treatment. I can tell when my hair needs a protein treatment when it is limp and dull and breaks easily. However, be careful with protein , too much of it will cause dryness and brittleness which will lead to more breakage. I generally just make my own instead of buying a product loaded with harsh ingredients.
STEP 2: Make sure you cleanse your hair on a regular basis, to prevent buildup of products in your hair. Be sure to use a sulfate free shampoo because shampoos that contain harsh sulfates can cause dryness which leads to breakage. 
STEP 3: Condition your hair. It's ok to to do a quick condition after a wash, but I would recommend deep conditioning at least twice a month. I personally like to deep condition every time I wash and I wash my hair weekly. Conditioning your hair helps with moisture retention.

STEP 4: Use a Ph balanced leave in conditioner to close your cuticles after a wash. Closed cuticles mean less breakage. If you do not have a Ph balanced conditioner you can spray your hair with aloe vera juice.
STEP 5: Seal in the moisture by using castor oil, hair butter, or a mixture of your own oils.
STEP 6: Afros are fierce, yes we know, but try to wear low manipulation styles like up dos or mini twists every once in a while. The less manipulation, the less the likelihood that you will experience breakage due to styling. I'm currently wearing box braids, yes I fell victim to they hype. But I love them.
Hope this helps.