Shop TheNappyLife

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Stop Telling me To Perm My Hair

I have been a napturalist for a year next month, i will post my one year update then. I am very happy about the progress that I have made, so I have taken to wearing my hair in its natural state instead of putting weave in like I normally do. I just woke up one morning and was tired of the process of having to put weave in my hair, and leaving it in for so long, I was just tired of it. Since I have been wearing my natural hair people have been less than accepting of the look. Making comments like, "your hair is so thick it would look so good permed", "why don't you straighten your hair". Mind you, these are people who have either been perming or straightening their hair for years and now have a big mess of damaged, brittle, frizzy broken hair. My response to you is, I am natural for a reason. I like looking like this, I like having healthy hair, I refuse to damage my hair for the sake of conformity. My hair is healthy, I love it, and I refuse to be dependent on a flat iron, perms, or weaves because I want to conform to societies depiction of beauty! This is my idea of beauty so get over it.

Do you think people take way too much interest in your hair or the way you look?